Estella Owoimaha-Church, M.A.
Teacher, English & Theatre
Director for Cougar Theatre
Founding Academy Leader
District Curriculum Course Lead
ITS Troupe #5311 Director
South Bay Area
Educator's Network - Art Creates Transformation
Los Angeles, CA
Leading Educator Ambassador for Equity
Education Civil Rights Alliance
Convened by National Center for Youth Law
Human Rights Committee, Chair Person & Rep
Centinela Valley Secondary Teachers Association
South Bay United Teachers
California Teachers Association
Los Angeles, CA
United Nations, New York
Curriculum Development Team
Innovation Lab Schools
National Coalition for Safe Schools
Fellow, Arts Education Cohort (2017-2018)
Arts for L.A. ACTIVATE
Varkey Teacher Ambassador
Varkey Foundation, London
Rock Your World Ambassador
Creative Visions, Malibu
Lead Educator & Brain Trust Member
Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, New York
Former Director of Curriculum Development and Community Partnerships
Board of Directors
Media Done Responsibly (formerly Mother's Day Radio)
Los Angeles, CA
- NEA National Teacher Leadership Conference Scholarship, 2018
- CTA Peace and Justice, Equity and Human Rights Award, 2018
- Life Changer of the Year Nominee (June 2017) View Profile Here
- Centinela Valley Educational Foundation Grant (May 2017) for "Theatre Arts & Project-Based Leaning: the Path to Global Citizenry"
- CTA GLBT Safety in Schools Grant in Honor of Guy DeRosa Recipient (March 2016)
- Rotary Club of Hawthorne Grant Awardee (May 2016) for demonstrating initiative, innovation, and inspiration in shaping the future of our nation through education and your Verbatim Project.
- Finalist for the Global Teacher Prize (December 2016) Named a top 50 finalist in the 2017 class for the Global Teacher Prize.
- Best in Theatre (June 2016) recognition for participation in the South Bay Digital Media Arts Consortium Grant.
- Stella Award (June 2016) from Media Done Responsibly for commitment to the organization and its mission. This was the inaugural award, named after Estella Church, to honor all those after her who chooses to continue the work to such a high standard.
- Educational Excellence Award (2016) from SW SELPA Community Advisory Committee for outstanding performance and dedication to students with special needs and their families.
- Extraordinary Theatre Educator (March 2015) from California Educational Theatre Association for extraordinary work with students in theatre arts education and advocacy.
- Rotary Club of Hawthorne Grant Awardee (May 2015) for demonstrating initiative, innovation, and inspiration in shaping the future of our nation through education and your Verbatim Project.
Speaking Engagements, Workshop Facilitation & Other Endeavors
- National Summit on School Safety, National Coalition for Safe Schools, March 2019, Birmingham, Alabama
- Speak Truth to Power Impact Story, RFK Human Rights, 50th Anniversary Ripple of Hope Gala, December 2018, Manhattan, New York
- Youth Leadership for Integral Human Development - Laudato Si’ and the
Sustainable Development Goals, Vatican Youth Symposium, Pontifical Academy of Sciences (PAS), October 2018, Vatican, Vatican City
- Upholding Marginalized Students' Civil Rights: The Equity Journey's First Step, Grantmakers for Education Annual Conference, October 2018, San Diego, CA
- Speak Truth to Power: Arts Integration & Student Social Justice Action, NNSTOY National teacher Leadership Conference, July 2018, Las Vegas, NV
- Social Emotional Learning & Arts Integration, The Broad Stage Teaching Artist Cohort, The Broad Stage, July 2018, Santa Monica, CA
- MIT Solve Workshop Facilitation, Global Education Skills Forum, March 2017, Dubai, UAE
- House Debate: Is the rise of robots in education a good thing?", Global Education Skills Forum, March 2017, Dubai, UAE
- Speak Truth to Power Summer Institute, Facilitator, Los Angeles, CA
- Clear Career Technical Education: Arts, Media and Entertainment Credential, USD
- GATE Certification, UCIE
- Clear Single Subject Credential, UCLAE
- Reading Specialist Certificate (Forthcoming), LMU
- Certified in ERWC, CSULA
M.A. Language Arts & Literacy (2013)
Loyola Marymount University
B.A. African-American Studies & Urban Education (2010)
California State University, Northridge
"Generation Z Will Inherit This World and Be the Change We Should Have Been" (2019)
Kindred Spirits Blog
Share My lesson
"Trump and DeVos Should Know What It Means for Our Students of Color When They Remove Discipline Guidance" (2018)Education Post
"Social Justice Theatre in California"
"Develop & Sustain Empathy, Reach Our Goals by 2030"
#TeachSDGs Initiative Blog
"Global Community of Learners Striving to Tackle Climate Change - And on the Way Build Partnerships for the Goals"
#TeachSDGs Initiative Blog
Education at a Crossroads: Human Rights and Arts Education
Black Power Encyclopedia, Contributor
"Angela Y. Davis"
"National Black Feminist Organization"
"Systematic Review: Faculty Departure from Four-Year Colleges and Universities
Review of the Literature 1996 - 2012" (2013)
Hip Hop Think Tank Journal, "If Hip Hop and Cointelpro Had a Baby" (2011)
Say It Loud Newspaper, "On the Cusp of a New Student Movement" (2010)
KapuSens Pan African Studies Literary Review, "How Hip Hop Elected Obama" (2009)
Hip Hop Think Tank Academic Journal, "Free Huey: Search for Hip Hop's Next Great Leader" (2008)
KapuSens Pan African Studies Literary Review, "Who Am I?" (2008)
KapuSens Pan African Studies Literary review, " Hip Hop: A Homophobic or Masculine Art Form" (2008)
- Centinela Valley Secondary Teachers Association
- South Bay Unified Teachers
- California Educators Theatre Association
- International Thespian Society
- Drama Teacher's Association of Southern California
- California Teachers Association
- National Education Association
- Arts for L.A., Activate
- Varkey Teacher Ambassador, Varkey Foundation
- #TeachSDG's Initiative, United Nations
- Creative Visions, Rock Your World
- Speak Truth to Power, Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, L.A. Cohort, Lead STTP Educator (2014 - Current)
- Kappa Delta Pi (2013)
- Ahnk Ma'at Wedjau Honor Society (2010)
- Minerva Leadership Organization (2009)
- AmeriCorp: Students in Service (2008, 2010)
- National Council for Black Studies
- Hip Hop Think Tank
- National Hip Hop Political Convention
- Explicit Empathy Instruction
- Hip Hop Pedagogy & Hip Hop Based Education
- Literacy & Language Arts
- Racial Identity Development & Academic Self-Concepts
- Black Boys, Motivation, and Gains in Literacy
- Service Learning
- Arts Education & Advocacy
- Implication of Language Acquisition Theory on African American Children
- Theatre Arts
- Technology & Design
- Musical Theatre